Heal With Food: Baobab
On one of my recent trips the the health food store, I was on the hunt for something new. I always like browsing for an item I’ve never heard of, then conducting some research to find out what it is.
You can imagine when I found the bag entitled “Baobab Powder”, I laughed to myself and picked it up thinking my work was done, definitely looking this one up. What in the world is this weird fruit?
As I sat in the store researching on my phone, I was really impressed to learn just how many health benefits were packed into this little super fruit! I bought it right away, eager to go home and taste it.
Baobab is a 100% natural African super fruit. It has a very sweet and tangy taste.
I quickly learned that it is great to enhance other flavours when pairing it in recipes. At the end of this article, I will give you the recipe I created, Superfood Cocoa Quinoa Flakes, to keep this nutrient dense super fruit in my weekly diet…
…But first, let’s talk benefits!
- Skin Benefits; helps body produce collagen and elastin, two proteins that give support and elasticity to your skin (anti-wrinkle).
- High Antioxidant Value; neutralizes free radicals, and other unstable molecules that damage your body on the cellular level, increasing risks of aging (physically and internally) as well as degenerative disease (such as CVD and cancer).
- Supports Weight Loss; baobab fruit extract has been found to reduce glycemic response (Nov 2013 edition, Journal of Nutrition Research) Low G.I response foods reduce appetite and cravings naturally, promoting weight loss by keeping insulin (the fat-storing hormone) under control.
- Natural Liver Cleanser & Detoxifier; protective effects against liver damage
- One of the best natural sources of Vitamin C Vitamin C is essential for all around support including stress, immune system, antioxidant, tissue maintenance, healthy blood sugar levels, etc.
- Source of fibre; containing both soluble and insoluble fibre. Soluble fibre can improve blood sugar levels where as insoluble fibre aids in digestion.
- Prebiotic; helpful in nourishing the good bacteria needed for optimal function in the gut! Prebiotics help our bodies synthesize the necessary nutrients. Happy gut = happy digestion.
- High Mineral Content; calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc. (Having a high mineral content in our diets is becoming increasingly difficult as our soils are depleted of nutrients. Supplementing with minerals is important, the baobab fruit contains vital and essential minerals our bodies need.)
To give you a better idea of just how high the potency of antioxidants are in Baobab, here is an overview of the IAC (International Antioxidant Capacity) of some other fruits to compare:
• Baobab: 11.11
• Kiwifruit: 0.34
• Orange: 0.10
• Strawberry: 0.91
• Apple: 0.16
Now tell me, what is not to love?!
You already know the first thing on my mind was to make a recipe, so lets get to the fun part…
Superfood Cocoa Quinoa Flakes - Featuring Acai & Baobab
What You Need…
• 1/3 cup Quinoa Flakes
• 1 tbsp Boabab Powder
• 2 tsp Acai Powder
• 2-3 tsp Cocoa Powder
• 1/2 - 1 tsp Cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
• Stevia Drops (to taste)
• Pinch of salt
• 2-4 tbsp of Cashew Milk
What To Do....
- Bring a pot of 2/3 cup water to a boil, and add pinch of salt.
- When water is boiling, add in Quinoa Flakes. Cook for 5 min, or until mixture resembles Oatmeal.
- Remove from heat, add in all ingredients except Cashew Milk, and stir.
- Reserve the Cashew Milk for desired consistency. The mix may become a bit dense, adding milk will help blend and smooth everything together again.
Add your favourite toppings! I like raspberries, as they compliment the rich chocolate flavour.