Low Carb Lo Mein
SPAGHETTI SQUASH LO MEIN
W/ GROUND TURKEY & SPICED VEGGIES
I’m currently 3 weeks out from my upcoming fitness competition, and I bring to you a twist on the “diet food”you’re expecting me to be eating at this point.
By now we all know I’m Italian, and I never sacrifice flavour or enjoying a good meal – no matter how much or how little!
My calories definitely decrease as I get closer to the stage, but it no longer bothers me as I’ve found my favourite foods to keep me feeling full and satisfied!
Spaghetti squash is definitely one of those “thank God you exist” kind of foods when your carbs are low. You can consume a great volume and still keep your carbs at bay! Personally, I eat anywhere from 200-300g in one meal, depending on how many carbs I want to use (Team #IIFYM, where ya at?! haha!). When measured out, you’ll see just how much 200g yields – more than enough for one meal – all for the “low price” of 12g of carbs!!
Of course, being in this low carb state is when I get the most creative in the kitchen – go figure?! – so I decided to put a spin on some of my favourites to share with you – a low carb, low fat, protein packed “Lo Mein” w/ spaghetti squash, ground turkey, and spiced up veggies. I’m 21 days out, and THIS is one of my meals, what’s not to love?! ..Lets get to it
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 Spaghetti Squash, cut in half horizontally (spoon out the seeds).
- Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast
- Coleslaw Mix (shredded cabbage, carrot, broccoli, etc) – I use about 100g.
- Chopped up Celery
- Chopped up Shallots or Onion
- Chopped up Green Onion
- Chopped up Red/Orange/Yellow/Green peppers
- 1 tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp chilli garlic paste
- Tabasco sauce / Franks Red Hot *optional
WHAT TO DO:
- Bake Spaghetti Squash at 400 degrees for 45 min. You can add spices on top before putting it in the oven, or leave plain (I use Vegetable spice from club house).
- In the mean time, sauté the mix of veggies, coconut aminos, and spices. (If the liquids dry up, add a splash of water).
- Add in the ground turkey when the veggies are about half way cooked. Turkey does not take as long to cook thoroughly. (Add more spices if you would like, or tabasco sauce / franks red hot).
- After 45 min, remove the spaghetti squash and with a fork gently begin to brush the squash. The little noodle-like fibres will easily come apart.
- You can either top your spaghetti squash with the protein and veggie mix (like I’ve done in the picture below), or you can mix it all together before serving onto your plate.
- Drizzle with sriracha, make it pretty, and enjoy!