SPAGHETTI SQUASH “LO-MEIN”
W/ GROUND TURKEY & SPICED VEGGIES
If you’re on a low carb or paleo type of diet, this ones for you! 🙂 I’m currently 3 weeks out from my upcoming fitness competition, and as my calories get lower my creativity tenfolds in the kitchen. Spaghetti squash is definitely one of those “thank God you exist” kind of foods when your carbs are low; you can consume a high volume and still keep your carbs at bay. More importantly, there are so many essential nutrients – YAY for vitamin A!
I love this root veggie because it’s so versatile, I hope you love my spin on a “low carb, lo-mein” ! 🙂
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 Spaghetti Squash, cut in half horizontally (spoon out the seeds).
- Organic Ground Turkey Breast
- Shredded cabbage, carrot, broccoli – I use about 100g total.
- Chopped up Celery
- Chopped up Shallots or Onion
- Chopped up Green Onion
- Chopped up Red/Orange/Yellow/Green peppers
- 1 tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp minced (or cubed) ginger
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- *All ingredients are organic, if possible.
WHAT TO DO:
- Bake Spaghetti Squash at 400 degrees for 45 min. You can add spices on top before putting it in the oven, or leave plain (I use Vegetable spice from club house).
- In the mean time, sauté the mix of veggies, coconut aminos, and spices. (If the liquids dry up, add a splash of water).
- Add in the ground turkey when the veggies are about half way cooked. Turkey does not take as long to cook thoroughly. (Add more spices if you would like, or tabasco sauce / franks red hot).
- After 45 min, remove the spaghetti squash and with a fork gently begin to brush the squash. The little noodle-like fibres will easily come apart.
- You can either top your spaghetti squash with the protein and veggie mix (like I’ve done in the picture below), or you can mix it all together before serving onto your plate.
- Drizzle with organic hot sauce, make it pretty, and enjoy!